How to remove Cry ransomware virus from computer
In this article, we have thrown some light on the Cry ransomware virus that you can find helpful. Moreover, in addition to the useful information you can get the complete removal procedure here. So, lean how you can eliminate .Cry ransomware virus.
What is Cry ransomware virus?
Cry ransomware is a notorious crypto-virus capable to infect important files on a windows PC. Further, this malware is capable to encrypt data of different types. Moreover, Cry virus works with one objective which is to encrypt all important files of the user on an infected computer system. Once this nasty file encrypting malware encrypts your files then you’ll be no longer to access to such files. Moreover, after encrypting your files it displays a message asking you to pay for decrypting your files.
So, after encrypting your important files a message appear on screen informing you that your files have been encrypted and to decrypt the files you require to purchase the decryption key. In addition, it also informs you that the decryption is available on a remote server and you can purchase the by following instructions provided. Moreover, you have to pay the ransom in a specified time. Further, it also threatens you that if you fail to the ransom in time the decryption key will be destroyed.
Moreover, this malware is similar to all other ransomware viruses and possesses all the traits. Thus, the malware is capable to destroy your data and may steal your sensitive information.
What are the adverse effects of this malware?
Unlike other malwares which eats up memory, slows down PC, steal your sensitive data etc. ransomware like Cry virus has one common objective i.e. to encrypt the files on an infected PC. Moreover, the malware once intrude your PC encrypt our files and give every file an extension of. cry.
So, you may find that your all important files now have .cry extension with the name. For example, if on victim’s PC there is file with ‘filename.xls’ name then it should now appear as ‘randomname.cry’. In addition, user will no longer be able to open the file with the normal program.
After encryption of your important files you get message that instruct you to pay ransom in order to decrypt your files. Further, the message you find on screen will appear every time on screen and if your browse internet you find it there also. In addition, it may cause browser redirections, add new registry files and browser extensions, also may collect sensitive information of the victim.
How does Cry ransomware spread?
To propagate this ransomware cyber crooks use various unethical means and the most common is spam mails. Malicious virus developers exploit emails by using spam e-mail attachments for distributing the malwares to victims. Moreover, usually virus developers send spam mails in the name of reputed organization to trick people to click on it.
Further, such mails come with downloadable archives which may contain malicious macros that start in background once you click on the attachment. Further, such malicious macros download executable file of malicious software like ransomware. Hence, this Cry ransomware enter your system. In addition, freeware, infected web contents etc. also bring such malware onto your PC.
How to get rid of Cry ransomware?
Here are the steps below to eliminate Cry ransomware virus from your PC:
Automatic removal procedure
Remove the malware using Malwarebytes antimalware suite.
1. In the first step, you have to download and install Malwarebytes tool on your PC. So, first download Malwarebytes on your PC by clicking on the link.
2. After that double click on the “mbam” setup file to launch the installation of Malwarebytes. Also, click on “Yes” in “User Account Control”.
3. Click Next on every step to complete the installation of Malwarebytes.
4. Now once it’s installed on your PC it begins an automatic update let it finish the update. Next after update now click on Scan Now.
5. Once it completes the scan then readily it displays malwares that are present on your system. Here then click on Remove Selected to immediately remove all malicious contents from your computer system.
Method No.2: Manual Method
Follow the following steps to remove adware manually.
To removeCry ransomware virus, you may have to mess with registery & system files. Making a single mistake and deleting the wrong thing may corrupt your system.
To Avoid this use MalwareBytes – Cry ransomware virus Removal Tool.
Step 1 : Uninstall suspicious software using Control Panel.
First: Reboot PC in Safe Mode with Networking
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- Once your PC restarts then keep pressing F8 until the Advanced Boot Options window appear.
- After this choose Safe Mode with Networking from options.
Windows 10/Windows 8:
- From Windows login screen click on the power button. Further, hit and hold Shift key a moment. After that from options choose Restart.
- Next choose Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Now choose ‘Safe Mode with Networking’ from the Startup Settings window.
- After this try removing the malware using Malwarebytes or other removal tools. Also, when in safe mode remove suspicious programs from control panel and kill malicious processes.
Second: Restore System to remove Cry:
For this reboot your PC in safe mode.
Windows 7/XP/ Vista:
- Click Start → Shutdown → Restart → OK.
- After this keep pressing F8 key until you reach in Advance boot option.
- Further, choose Command Prompt from options.
- From the Windows login screen click power button. Further, hit and hold Shift key then click Restart.
- Now select Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Startup Settings and click Restart.
- Now choose ‘Safe Mode with Command Prompt’ from the Startup Settings window.
Third: Now Restore your PC:
- After you find the Command Prompt window on screen then type ‘cd restore’ in command prompt and then hit Enter.
- Further, enter ‘rstrui.exe’ in window and hit Enter again.
- Now when you find a new window appear the in that click on Next also choose your restore point prior to Cry virus intrusion. Finally, click Next.
- Further, choose Yes to confirm the restoration.